Michigan Highways
Home | Highway Listings | County Highways | Other Highways | In-Depth: News & Articles | About this Site

 

Highways 100 through 119

M-100 | Former M-101 | Historic US-102 | M-102 | M-103 | M-104 | Former M-105 | M-106 | Former M-107 | Former M-108 | M-109 | M-110 | US-112 | M-113 | M-115 | M-116 | M-117 | M-119 | Jump to Bottom


M-100 PLEASE NOTE:
The M-100 route information has moved to its own page: M-100 Route Listing.

Former M-101 PLEASE NOTE:
Former M-101 route information can be found on its own page: Former M-101 Route Listing.

Historic US-102 PLEASE NOTE:
The Historic US-102 route information can be found on its own page: Historic US-102 Route Listing.

M-102 PLEASE NOTE:
The M-102 route information has moved to its own page: M-102 Route Listing.

M-103 PLEASE NOTE:
The M-103 route information has moved to its own page: M-103 Route Listing.

M-104 PLEASE NOTE:
The M-104 route information has moved to its own page: M-104 Route Listing.

Former M-101 PLEASE NOTE:
Former M-105 route information can be found on its own page: Former M-105 Route Listing.

M-106 PLEASE NOTE:
The M-106 route information has moved to its own page: M-106 Route Listing.

M-107 Fmr West Terminus: Lake of the Clouds Overlook contact station in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, 9-1/2 miles west of Silver City
Fmr East Terminus: M-64 at Silver City
Former Length: Updated 9.576 miles
Map: Route Map of Former M-107
Notes: New! The entire 9.58 mile route of M-107, in existence for 73 years as a state trunkline highway and even pre-dating the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park by a decade, is transferred to county control. According to an MDOT press release, "The Ontonagon County Road Commission decided ... to rename the road the 107th Engineers Memorial Highway, in honor of the Michigan National Guard unit based in the Upper Peninsula."
Updated Former M-107 is the main access road into the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park from the east. The park visitor center, park headquarters, Union Bay Campground, Winter Sports Complex and Lake of the Cloud Overlook are all located on or just off the former M-107. The former western terminus of M-107 was at the state park contact station for the Lake of the Clouds Overlook. From that point westerly for 1/4 mile, a state park motor vehicle permit is necessary for access to the overlook. All other traffic must turn around.
Updated The former M-107 was the remnant of a planned Lake Superior shoreline highway running westerly from Silver City via Lake of the Clouds through the rest of what had yet to become the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in 1935, and on to the Black Harbor area on Lake Superior north of Bessemer. At that point, the highway would have turned south to follow today's Co Rd 513 the Black River Rd (Black River Harbor Dr) southerly to US-2 in Bessemer. In this era, the push was to create shoreline "drives" along much of the Great Lakes shoreline throughout the state. Some of these routes were built as planned, but many others, including several across the U.P., never came to fruition. Most people today will agree not completing all of these "drives" ended up being a very positive thing for the Porcupine Mountains area, which is now the largest unspoiled wilderness area east of the Mississippi. A state highway through the middle of such an area would have increased logging activities and possibly stalled the creation of the state park. For those reasons, M-107 was forever to be a "spur route" ending at Lake of the Clouds.
Updated This highway was only snowplowed as far as the state park's Winter Sports Complex (downhill and cross-country ski area) in the winter. The rest of the former M-107 from the ski area westerly to the Lake of the Clouds Overlook was classified as "seasonal" and was maintained as a cross-country ski and snowmobile trail. As a county roadway, it is assumed this policy remains in effect.
History: 1935 (Jan 7) - A new state trunkline routing is determined along the Lake Superior shoreline, beginning at M-64 in Silver City in northwestern Ontonagon Co and proceeding westerly through the Porcupine Mountains and into Gogebic Co, connecting with the northern end of present-day Black River Dr, the road leading southerly into Bessemer. Technically, the trunkline is only determined as far as the Ontonagon/Gogebic Co line, as the part in Gogebic Co is proposed, but not yet determined. Further extension from the Black River to the westernmost tip of the Upper Peninsula at the mouth of the Montreal River is also considered, but not acted upon at this time. While a trunkline has been determined along the Ontonagon Co portion of the corridor, the only existing road runs from Silver City westerly to the Lake of the Clouds area.
  1936 - During 1936, the existing road from Silver City to the Lake of the Clouds is improved to trunkline standards and is opened to traffic, signed as M-107. The remainder of the route remains a "line on the map."
  1945 - The Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park is designated, including nearly all the land surrounding M-107. At this time, M-107 ends at the Lake of the Clouds, about halfway across the width of the park. While not immediate, it is likely the creation of the park, one of the largest state parks in the Midwest, caused the rest of M-107 to never be completed.
  c.1960s - While a date of cancellation for the portion of M-107 proposed to continue west from the Lake of the Clouds area is not known, the "line on the map" likely survived into the 1960s before finally being dropped.
  2008 (June 4) New! - The entire 9.58 mile route of M-107, in existence for 73 years as a state trunkline highway and even pre-dating the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park by a decade, is transferred to county control.
Freeway/Expwy: No portion of Former M-107 is freeway or expressway.
Photographs:
Weblinks: M-107 @ Michigan Highway Ends - photos of the termini of Former M-107 at Dan Garnell's excellent Michigan Highway Ends website.

Former M-108 Fmr South Terminus: I-75/G Mennen Williams Frwy at Exit 337 at Mackinaw City
Fmr North Terminus: Cnr of Nicolet St & the northbound I-75 off-ramp at Exit 338, between the Michigan Welcome Center and Central Ave in Mackinaw City.
Former Length: Updated 1.158 miles
Map:
Notes: Before the completion of the Mackinac Bridge in November 1957, M-108 served as the state trunkline connecting US-23/US-27 and US-31 at the State Highway Ferry Docks to the Fort Michilimackinac State Historic Park. Interestingly, M-108 was a "three-legged" route at Mackinaw City for many years. See the "1928" listing in the History section below for details.
New! In 2010, all of M-108 was transferred to local (county and village) control and is no longer a state trunkline highway route. The precise reasons for this transfer have not been made clear, whether it was MDOT no longer believing M-108 served a purpose as a state trunkline highway or it was local agencies wanting more control over the roadway itself. M-108 was a state trunkline route for approximately 79 years total (1928–1957 and 1960–2010).
Updated The only portion of the more modern (1960–2010) route of M-108 running along its historic routing was that portion along Nicolet St from Old 31 (just south of the US-23 intersection) northerly to its northern terminus.
Animated maps showing the evolution of M-108 at Mackinaw City in relation to the other signed state trunklines in the area are available under the "Maps" section above.
History: 1928 (Jun 28) - A new "three-legged" state trunkline routing is created in the Village of Mackinaw City. First, a new angled "cut-off" route linking US-31 at Nicolet St with US-23/US-27 along Huron St is created and the route of US-31 is transferred to the new "cut-off" to Huron St where a three-way concurrency of US-23/US-27/US-31 leads up to the State Ferry Docks. From the intersection of the new US-31 "cut-off" and Nicolet St on the south side of town, a new M-108 is commissioned via Nicolet St northerly to Central Ave, then turning easterly via Central for 3 blocks to Huron St, then southerly via Huron St to the State Ferry Docks and a jct with US-23/US-27/US-31. This forms a "U-shaped" route. Second, the 5-1/2 blocks of Nicolet St from the cnr of Central Ave northerly to a turnaround at the tip of Old Mackinac Point are transferred to the state and become the third "leg" of M-108. Thus, motorists travelling westerly via M-108 on Central Ave through downtown each the intersection of Nicolet St and can choose to turn left onto M-108 sbd or right onto M-108 nbd! See the companion map M-108: Original Configuration for a graphical represenation.
  1957 (Oct 21) - Just 11 days before the brand-new Mackinac Straits Bridge opens to traffic between Mackinaw City and St Ignace, all two miles of all three legs of M-108 are transferred to local control. This same day, the routes of the Mackinac Bridge approach (present-day I-75) and connector to US-23/US-27 are transferred to state control.
  1960 (Jul 6) - Less than three years after being transferred to local control, much of the former route of M-108 is re-uploaded as a state trunkline. This time, the "new" M-108 begins at I-75/US-31 Exit 337 south of Mackinaw City and continues northerly via Nicolet St to point 1.16 miles north of its point of beginning, just south of the Pennsylvania RR or two blocks south of Central Ave.
  2010 (Dec 9) New! - The entire length of M-108 is transferred to local control and ceases to be a state trunkline highway route. The MDOT transfer documentation specifically notes the portions being transferred to the Emmet County Road Commission and the Village of Mackinaw City. The southern portion becoming a County Primary road "from its southern terminus approximately located at a point where the M-108/Mackinaw Highway centerline and the center of southbound I-75 freeway would cross if there were no grade separation between the roadways, northerly to the south city limits of the Village of Mackinaw City, a distance of about 0.32 miles." The northern portion becoming a City Major street "from the south city limits of the Village of Mackinaw City northerly to the northern M-108 terminus located at the I-75 northbound exit ramp, a distance of about 0.75 miles."
Freeway/Expwy: No portion of former M-108 is freeway or expressway.
Photographs:
Weblinks: M-108 @ Michigan Highway Ends - photos of the termini of M-108 at Dan Garnell's excellent Michigan Highway Ends website.
  Mackinac Straits Historical Photos - a collection of photos from the 1950s with scenes during and just after construction of the Mackinac Bridge.

M-109 Southern Terminus: M-22 two miles northeast of Empire (cnr Dune Hwy & Leelanau Hwy)
Northern Terminus: M-22 in downtown Glen Arbor (cnr Harbor Hwy & Ray St)
Length: Updated 6.799 miles
Map: Route Map of M-109
Notes: Until c.1997, a short (0.37-mile long) state trunkline spur off M-109, designated as M-209, ran into Glen Haven.
M-109 is a loop-route with both termini at M-22, carrying travellers through the heart of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
  New! All of M-109 (along with sixty miles of M-22 and M-204) have been designated as a Scenic Heritage Route and is now officially designated as the Leelanau Scenic Heritage Route. The Heritage Route Committee works to protect the natural and rural landscape with its many vistas and open spaces such as the orchards, vineyards, fields, hills, valleys, forests, waterways, and the historic and recreational attributes. The Committee members include representatives from the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, Leelanau County, each township and village, MDOT, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, organizations, and local citizens.
History: 1928 (Jun 28) - A new 5.1-mile state trunkline is determined in southwest Leelanau Co, beginning at M-22 just north of Empire and continuing northerly on the west side of Glen Lake, terminating at the hamlet of Glen Haven near D.H. Day State Park. Ironically, the first 4.9 miles of this route were once part of the route of M-22 from 1913-14 until 1921, when M-22 was transferred to a new alignment to the east.
  1932 (Oct 29) - The road connecting Glen Haven with M-22 at Glen Arbor is assumed into the state trunkline system as part of M-109, thus making M-109 a "loop route" off M-22 from just north of Empire to Glen Arbor. At some point, the 0.37-mile spur route from the 90-degree turn in the route of M-109 just south of Glen Haven is given its own trunkline designation: M-209. It is unclear when M-209 is designated, however.
  1939 (Jul 13) - A slight realignment on the west side of Glen Lake shortens M-109 by approximately 2/10 mile.
  1995 (June 6) Updated - The spur route M-209 from M-109 into Glen Haven is transferred to local control and the M-209 designation is 'decommissioned.'
Freeway/Expwy: No portion of M-109 is freeway or expressway.
Circle Tour: Lake Michigan Circle Tour Loop MarkerLake Michigan Circle Tour LOOP: Entire route.
Pure Michigan Byway: Lake Michigan Circle Tour Loop MarkerLeelanau Scenic Heritage Route: Entire route.
Photographs:
Weblinks: M-109 @ Michigan Highway Ends - photos of the termini of M-109 at Dan Garnell's excellent Michigan Highway Ends website.

M-110 Former
Southern Terminus:
US-31 in Parkdale on the northern Manistee city limit (a mile north of downtown Manistee)
Former
Northern Terminus:
Cnr Kott Rd & Lakeshore Dr approximately 1/2 mile north of the Orchard Beach State Park entrance
Former Length: Updated 1.715 miles
Map: Route Map of Former M-110
Notes: Until late 2003, M-110 was a spur route serving Orchard Beach State Park which is about 1.5 miles off US-31. Contrary to a few maps over the years, M-110 never continued northerly and easterly to connect with M-22 near Onekama.
It was somewhat suprising when MDOT transferred this highway to the Manistee County Road Commission in 2003. While M-110 was a short highway, it, like so many others around the state, served a state park facility. It is not clear which party initiated the transfer process in this case.
History: 1927 (Aug 8) - The southernmost 1.3 miles of Lake Shore Rd north of Manistee from US-31 northerly becomes a new state trunkline, designated M-110.
  1940 (Nov 12) - An additional 1/2 mile is added to the northern end of M-110, bringing the trunkline northerly to Kott Rd.
  2003 (Dec 4) - M-110 is transferred from state to local control in its entirety.
Freeway/Expwy: No portion of the former M-110 was freeway or expressway.
Photographs:
Weblinks: M-110 @ Michigan Highway Ends - photos of the termini of M-110 at Dan Garnell's excellent Michigan Highway Ends website.

US-112 Historic
U.S. Highway
Initially conceived of as a spur routing, beginning at US-12 in Detroit and proceeding west-southwesterly across much of the Lower Peninsula before dipping into Indiana at Elkhart, where it terminated, US-112 later became a "loop" route rejoining its parent US-12 at New Buffalo. For many years, US-112 was the "other" Detroit-to-Chicago route, but when I-94 replaced the existing US-12, US-112 was decommissioned and its parent replaced it in its entirety. Please see the Historic US-112 pages for more information on this historic U.S. Highway.

M-113 Western Terminus: M-37 six miles north of Buckley and six miles south of Chums Corners
Eastern Terminus: US-131 at Walton (Junction), 4 miles south of Fife Lake
Length: Updated 16.573 miles
Map: Route Map of M-113
Notes: From 1927 until 1940, the northern terminus of US-131 was located at the present-day jct of M-113 & M-186 west of Fife Lake. At that time, the present-day US-131 corridor northerly from M-113 toward Petoskey was designated M-131. In that period, long-range plans existed to extend US-131 north-northwesterly on new alignment to meet its parent route, US-31, east of Traverse City, near Acme. Until 1940, US-131 did not come in contact with US-31 at all!
History: 1927 (Nov 21) - A new, 12.5-mile long state trunkline, designated M-113, is commissioned in southern Grand Traverse Co, from M-42 on the west through Kingsley to jct US-131 & M-131 on the east, near Fife Lake.
  1940 - A new, more direct alignment for US-131 is completed from Walton Junction northeasterly past Fife Lake opens to traffic (although, it is not officially determined as a state trunkline until August 17, 1942). Thus, the M-113 designation is extended southerly via the former route of US-131 for nearly 4 miles to end at US-131 at Walton Junction.
  1945 (Jun 26) - A 2/10th mile extension of M-113 is added to bring that highway to a new junction with a realigned US-131.
  1979 (Jun 1) - A new angling "cut-off" route is determined as a state trunkline, beginning on M-113 just east of Hodge Rd (5 miles east of Kingsley) and trending slightly southeasterly, crossing the existing M-113 approximately 1/4 mile north of the M-186 junction and ending on M-186 approximately 1 mile east of M-113 (1-1/2 miles west of US-131 at Fife Lake). A quarter-century later this realignment has yet to be built and may have been removed from the books at some point during the 1990s.
Freeway/Expwy: No portion of M-113 is freeway or expressway.
Photographs:
Weblinks: M-113 @ Michigan Highway Ends - photos of the termini of M-113 at Dan Garnell's excellent Michigan Highway Ends website.

M-115 Southern Terminus: Downtown Clare at jct BUS US-127 & BUS US-10 (cnr Fifth St & McEwan St)
Northern Terminus: M-22 on the east side of Frankfort (cnr Forest Ave & Lake St)
Length: Updated 96.712 miles
Map: Route Map of M-115
Notes: Even though M-115 is signed as a north-south highway, it actually trends more east-west, although it is basically a northwest-southeast route.
M-115 is a major tourist route between the southern Lower Peninsula and the Northwest Michigan, including the popular Grand Traverse Region. Because of the high traffic volumes along this highway, many improvements have taken place over the years, including the addition of several miles of passing lanes. As traffic increases, additional passing lanes and other upgrades will continue to take place.
With the completion of the US-10 bypass of Clare and Farwell in 1975, M-115 was routed easterly via the new freeway to end at US-27 (now US-127). In c.1989, however, the former route of US-10 through Farwell into downtown Clare which had been maintained as an unsigned state trunkline, was redesignated as M-115 (erroneously labled on nearly all commercial maps since then as BUS US-10!).
History: 1929 (May) - Although not officially determined as a state trunkline for nearly a year, official maps from the State Highway Dept indicate the route from Frankfort to Benzonia in Benzie Co is designated M-115.
  1930 (Mar 31) - The 6.4-mile long road linking Frankfort with Benzonia is transferred to the state and is officially designated M-115. However, official maps through 1935 show M-115 as running via Grace Rd between US-31 south of Benzonia and M-22 south of Elberta. This is likely because final construction on the direct Frankfort-Benzonia route is not yet complete.
  1934-35 - The Frankfort-to-Benzonia permanent route of M-115 is constructed and completed in early 1935.
  1935 (Jan 7) - A new state trunkline, 58.8 miles all on new alignment, is officially determined beginning at M-42 on the east side of Mesick and proceeding southeasterly past Cadiilac, through northeastern Osceola Co and ending in downtown Farwell at US-10. The only construction completed on the new route is the short portion from US-10 (present-day Surrey Dr) northwest of Farwell and the cnr of Corning & Main Sts in downtown Farwell.
  1936 - Construction on another segment of the new M-115 is completed, from M-42 at Mesick westerly to the Wexford/Manistee Co line... however, that portion of highway would not be officially assumed into the state trunkline system until the next year! Elsewhere, work is completed on the M-55 (west of Cadillac) to M-61 segment and is underway on the Lake Station Ave-to-US-10 (Farwell) segment.
  1937 (Aug 30) - The portion of M-115 completed in 1936 from Mesick westerly to the Wexford/Manistee Co line is officially determined as a state trunkline, while construction northwesterly from that segment, from the Wexford/Manistee Co line to west of Copemish (itself not yet officially a trunkline!), commences. In addition, two more segments of M-115 are completed and opened to traffic:
  • From M-61 west of Marion to M-66 south of Marion in northeast Osceola Co.
  • From Lake Station Ave to US-10 northwest of Farwell, but only as a "graded-earth" roadway (not hard surfaced).
  1938 - By early 1938, M-115 from the Manistee/Wexford Co line westerly to west of Copemish (still not yet officially designated a trunkline) is opened to traffic as a "graded-earth" roadway.
  1939 - The portions of M-115 from US-31 south of Benzonia to west of Copemish and from M-66 south of Marion to Lake Station Ave in western Clare Co are completed as "graded-earth" roadway by the Works Progress Administration, meaning the highway now exists, in some form, as a two-segment, discontinuous route: Frankfort to Mesick, and M-55 (Cadillac) to US-10 (Farwell).
  1940 (Dec 6) - M-115 between M-66 and US-10 is completed as a concrete-surfaced highway, although that segment had been opened as an earth-surfaced highway since 1937 and 1939.
  1942 (Jan 28) - Even though it had been open to traffic as a "graded-earth" roadway since 1938-39, the 18.6 miles of M-115 from US-31 south of Benzonia to the Manistee/Wexford Co line is officially transferred to the state trunkline system. Also, that same segment of roadway is surfaced with gravel in 1942.
  1947 - The last section of gravel-surfaced M-115 (currently complete and open to traffic), between US-31 south of Benzonia and Copemish, is hard-surfaced.
  c.1953 - A county road is completed linking Cadillac and Mesick generally along the proposed route of M-115 between those communities.
  1957 - The local road between Cadillac and Mesick, noted above, is seemingly signed as M-115 in the field as it is designated as such on official highway maps from 1957. An interesting route change also takes place at Cadillac, albeit a temporary one. From the southeast, M-115 is rerouted from its jct with US-131 south of Cadillac to run concurrently via US-131 northerly through downtown Cadillac to Boon Rd (34 Rd) north of town, then westerly via Boon (34) Rd to the 1953-era Cadillac-Mesick road, then northwesterly to Mesick. Although not transferred to local control, it would seem the section of M-115 between US-131 south of Cadillac and M-55 west of Cadillac is, at least, "de-signed" for the time being. A contemporary AAA (Triple A) road map indicates the portion of what would become M-115 from M-55 to Boon (34) Rd is still under construction.
  1958 (Sept 16) - The originally-proposed route of M-115 between Cadillac and Mesick from 1935 is cancelled and much of the local roadway noted above is officially assumed into the state trunkline system. The proposed trunkline and local roadway routes intertwined with each other between Cadillac and Mesick and it is not clear why the original route was never built nor why the local road was built in the first place. The 1958 official highway maps also show M-115 is restored to its 1936-1957 route via Cadillac Hwy between US-131 and M-55, then northwesterly toward Mesick. Boon Rd (34 Rd) between M-115 and US-131 north of Cadillac seems to have never been officially designated a state trunkline and any M-115 signs along that roadway are likely removed. M-115 is now one, complete highway from Frankfort to Clare.
  1975 (Nov 12, 11:00 am) Updated The 9.2-mile long US-10/M-115 freeway bypass of the Clare and Farwell area is completed and opened to traffic at a public dedication ceremony put on by the Clare Chamber of Commerce at 11:00 am. "Miss Michigan Transpo of 1976," Barbara Tomak of Lansing, assists with the ribbon cutting on the $16.3 million freeway. The route of US-10 now continues northwesterly from the first Clare exit (present-day Exit 95) for 2 miles along what had been an unnumbered connector freeway (formerly part of TO I-75 until 1973) to US-27, continuing around Clare concurrently with US-27 for 4 miles, then heading westerly along the new freeway facility with M-115 for 8 miles back to the former route of US-10 along Ludington Dr. The former route of US-10 from present-day Exit 95 east of Clare into downtown Clare is redesiganted as BUS US-10, with that designation continuing northerly along BUS US-27 from downtown Clare to a terminus at US-27/US-10 north of the city. Former US-10 from downtown Clare westerly through Farwell is retained as an unsigned state trunkline at this point.
  1975 (Nov 26) Updated - The new US-10/M-115 freeway bypass of Farwell and Clare is officially assumed into the state trunkline system, having opened to traffic two weeks earlier. The former route of M-115 and US-10/M-115 through Farwell and into downtown Clare remains an state trunkline highway route.
  1989 - The former route of M-115 and US-10/M-115 through Farwell and into downtown Clare which became an unsigned state trunkline in 1975 is again given a route designation. The M-115 designation is removed from the US-10 freeway and re-added to the route through Farwell, terminating in downtown Clare.
Freeway/Expwy: No portion of M-115 is freeway or expressway.
NHS: From US-10 northwest of Farwell to the western jct of M-37 on the west side of Mesick.
Photographs:
Weblinks: M-115 @ Michigan Highway Ends - photos of the termini of M-115 at Dan Garnell's excellent Michigan Highway Ends website.

M-116 Southern Terminus: US-10 in downtown Ludington (cnr Ludington Ave & James St)
Northern Terminus: Entrance to Ludington State Park, 7 miles north-northwest of downtown Ludington
Length: Updated 7.018 miles
Map: Route Map of M-116
Notes: This highway was constructed as the first leg in a proposed Ludington-to-Manistee shoreline route earmarked to become US-31 when complete. The new highway made it as far as the Big Sable River when local opposition prompted the State Highway Dept to continue to route US-31 on the existing, inland alignment. M-116 since then has primarily served as the access highway into Ludington State Park.
History: 1928 (Jun 28) - A new trunkline is determined from the north city limit of Ludington north and northwesterly parallelling the Lake Michigan shoreline for 5.1 miles to the Sable River, although the roadway itself will not be completed for several years.
  1931 (Jul 15) - An additional mile of trunkline is designated from the southern end of M-116 at the Ludington city limit southerly for 1.0 mile to the cnr of Lake Shore Dr & Ludington St. Also, Ludington St from Lake Shore Dr easterly to US-10 downtown becomes an official state trunkline due to the Dykstra Act. These 1931 segments are, at this time, the only portions of M-116 complete and open to traffic.
  1933 (Mar 14) - A new 3.89 mile long alignment of M-116, closer to the Lake Michigan shoreline than the 1928 alignment, is officially designated and opened to traffic. This route runs from Lake Shore Dr north of Jagger Rd (north of Ludington) to just south of the Sable River.
  1933 (Jul 12) - The original 5.1 mile long proposed routing for M-116, replaced by the March 14th alignment noted above, is officially cancelled. (It was never built.)
  1934 - The bridge over the Sable River at the north end of the completed M-116 is completed.
  1935 (Oct 31) - A 0.23 mile extension of M-116 on its northern end is made official, encompassing the Big Sable River bridge built the previous year.
  1936 - The one-mile long route of US-31A "bypass" of Ludington via Pere Marquette Hwy from Sixth St to US-10/US-31/Ludington Ave is redesignated as part of US-31. Thus, the route of M-116 is extended easterly with US-10 via Ludington Ave to the former jct of US-10 & US-31 (cnr Ludington Ave & Washington St), then turns southerly via the former US-31 along Washington St, easterly via Second St, southerly via Madison St, then easterly via Sixth St, terminating at US-31/Pere Marquette Hwy.
  1937 (Aug 30) - The 1936 extension of M-116 through Ludington then southeasterly via the former route of US-31 is rolled back when the former US-31 routing via Washington, Second, Madison and Sixth Sts is turned back to local control. M-116 once again terminates at US-10 at the cnr of Ludington Ave & Robert St.
  1940s? Updated - Internal State Highway Dept maps indicate an additional 6.237 miles of roadway north from the northern terminus of M-116 at the Big Sable River bridge into the Nordhouse Dunes area were to be graded and drainage structures installed, possibly as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) program. Work on this segment never seems to have commenced and records seem to indicate it was never officially "determined" as a state trunkline. (The modern-day road leading to the Big Sable Point Lighthouse was not built as part of this proposed highway extension.)
  1942 (Jan 28) - The route of US-10 from downtown Ludington to the Pere Marquette Lake Michigan Carferries is changed slightly. Instead of turning southerly via Robert St, US-10 now runs one block farther west via Ludington Ave to William St, then southerly to carferry docks. Thus, the route of M-116 is shortened by one block and now ends at the cnr of Ludington & William.
  1998 - The routings of both M-116 and US-10 in downtown Ludington are altered. Previously, US-10 traveled through downtown Ludington via Ludington Ave, then turned southerly via William St for several blocks, "ending" at the Lake Michigan Carferry dock at the south end of William St. With the removal of the CSX railroad tracks in the area (the tracks which, ironically, led to the creation of the ferry service in the first place), the US-10 routing now leaves Ludington Ave at James St in the heart of downtown Ludington, and proceeds southerly via James St for seven blocks to the carferry docks. The portion of the former US-10 routing via Ludington Ave from James St to William St (three blocks) becomes an extension of M-116. The portion along William St from Ludington Ave to Filer St (two blocks) is likely turned back to local control. In all, M-116 is extended for three blocks, or approximately 2/10 mile, from 6.85 to 7.05 miles in total length.
Freeway/Expwy: No portion of M-116 is freeway or expressway.
Photographs:
Weblinks: M-116 @ Michigan Highway Ends - photos of the termini of M-116 at Dan Garnell's excellent Michigan Highway Ends website.

M-117 Southern Terminus: US-2 one mile south of Engadine (cnr Country Ave & Lake Michigan Scenic Hwy)
Northern Terminus: M-28 southwest of Newberry, 3 miles west of the western M-28 & M-123 junction
Length: Updated 14.480 miles
Map: Route Map of M-117
Notes: Although a rather short highway by many definitions, M-117 serves an important need: connecting two of the Upper Peninsula's major east-west highways, US-2 and M-28. Except at their western end, US-2 and M-28 come no closer than they do in the M-117 area. Much of the through traffic heading to or from the Central U.P./Keweenaw Peninsula areas and the Mackinc Bridge use M-117 as a connector between US-2 and M-28.
History: 1930s - The first iteration of M-117 existed during the 1930s—at least on paper—in Monroe Co. Internal State Highway Dept maps indicate the portion of Lewis Ave from the bend just north of Ida to M-50 and Ida-Maybee Rd from M-50 to M-130/North Custer Rd is officially M-117, although not likely signed in the field. Lewis Ave is signed as part of US-23, while Ida-Maybee as part of M-130. M-117 may have been assigned to this route to take over for the US-23 and M-130 designations once the planned relocation of US-23 in the area was completed—which never occurred. As of 1939, this "paper" M-117 designation no longer shows up on internal maps.
  1941 - A new shoreline routing for US-2 between the Gould City area (west of Engadine) and Epoufette is completed and opened to traffic. The 8 mile segment of the former route of US-2 via Hiawatha Tr from the new US-2 at Epoufette to M-48 east of Rexton is redesignated M-117.
  1949 (Nov 10) - Several state trunkline route changes in western Mackinac Co on this date. First, the route of M-48 from Garnet northerly to M-28, westerly via M-28 to Newberry and northerly to north of Newberry is officially relocated to a new proposed alignment from Garnet angling directly to the southwest, meeting US-2 just east of Naubinway. Since this new angling alignment is only a proposed "line on a map," the signed route of M-48 supplants the entire length of M-117 southerly to US-2 at Epoufette. Technically, the route of M-117 (via Hiawatha Tr) here is transferred to the Mackinac Co Road Commission on 11/10/1949, but remains "marked and maintained" by the State Highway Dept as M-48 until the new route is constructed. This same day, a new state trunkline route is determined about 20 miles west of the former M-117, beginning at US-2 south of Engadine and proceeding northerly via Country Ave, easterly via Brown Rd, northerly again via Krause Rd into Luce Co via Co Rd 405 to M-28. The M-117 designation is assigned to this new trunkline and, at M-28, the M-117 routing is then continued easterly via M-28 to Roberts Corner, then northerly via the former route of M-48 (present-day Co Rd 403 and M-123) into downtown Newberry. M-117 continues northerly from Newberry for four more miles to a terminus at Four Mile Corner (present-day jct M-123 & H-37). The route of present-day H-37 from Four Mile Corner to Muskallonge Lake on the Lake Superior shoreline was officially determined as an extension of M-48 on January 1, 1935, but was never officially signed as such, pending reconstruction to state trunkline standards. No documents have been found indicating the State Highway Dept intended to designate this extension as M-117, but one could assume this to be the case.
  1949 (Nov 10) - On the same day as the above changes, the entire route of M-28A through Newberry as well as the route of M-117 via present-day Co Rd 403 southeast of Newberry is technically transferred to local control, while the route of present-day M-123 from Newberry due southerly to M-28 is assumed as a state trunkline. However, these changes do no appear on official State Highway Dept maps until early 1953. It is not yet clear when signage in the field changes for these routes.
  1953 - The Newberry area route transfers, noted above on November 10, 1949, are now indicated on official highway maps.
  1954 (May 15) - The "Muskallonge Lake" extension of M-117 via present-day H-37 from Four Mile Corner to the Lake Superior shore is officially transferred back to local control, although evidence indicates this route was never signed as a trunkline in the field, likely pending complete reconstruction.
  1957 (Oct 1) - The route of M-117 via Brown Rd and Krause Rd in Mackinac Co is turned back to local control, ironically nine days prior to the new routing of M-117 (via an extension of Country Ave) is officially "determined" as a state trunkline!
  1957 (Oct 10) - A northerly extension of Country Ave in Mackinac Co, continuing along the same line into Luce Co to M-28 southwest of Newberry, is transferred to the state for a realigned routing of M-117. The former route in Luce Co via Co Rd 405 south of M-28 is turned back to local control on this date.
  1962 (May 18) - A new state trunkline routing fills the gap between Four Mile Corner north of Newberry and Paradise in northwest Chippewa Co, which is designated M-123. From Four Mile Corner southerly through downtown Newberry to M-28 south of Newberry, M-117 is redesignated as part of M-123, thus the northern terminus of M-117 is relocated to the western jct of M-28 southwest of Newberry.
Freeway/Expwy: No portion of M-117 is freeway or expressway.
NHS: Entire route.
Photographs:
Weblinks: M-117 @ Michigan Highway Ends - photos of the termini of M-117 at Dan Garnell's excellent Michigan Highway Ends website.

M-119 Southern Terminus: US-31 east of Bay View, approximately 4 miles east of downtown Petoskey
Northern Terminus: Downtown Cross Village at jct C-66/C-77 (cnr N Lakeshore Dr & N State Rd)
Length: Updated 27.549 miles
Map: Route Map of M-119
Notes: The 20-mile portion of M-119 between Harbor Springs and Cross Village is known as the "Tunnel of Trees," a scenic drive paralleling the Lake Michigan shoreline. Unlike other state-maintained highways, M-119 through this stretch has no shoulders and in most places, is not marked with center dividing lines as the pavement is not a full two lanes wide in many areas. The trip along this portion of M-119 features two sharp hairpin turns ("Devil's Elbow" and "Horseshoe Bend"), as well as trees and brush growing right up to the edge of the pavement. Needless to say, the route is popular with tourists (locals tend to opt for C-77 instead), who can slow travel on the highway in season to a crawl. In that sense, drivers are warned to use caution, being aware of slow drivers. The road in winter can become all but impassible with Lake Effect snowfalls and few snowplow trips...
M-119, including the "Tunnel of Trees" portion was officially designated a Scenic Heritage Route in December 2002.
History: 1928 (Jun 28) - A new 4.0-mile state trunkline is designated from US-12 in downtown Paw Paw and continuing southerly to a terminus in downtown Lawton.
  1929 (Aug 29) - A slight realignment "cuts the corner" just north of Lawton saving 4/10 mile from the former route via 62nd Ave and 31st St, which is turned back to local control.
  1931 (June 19) New! - The State Administrative Board approves a 10.6-mile extension of M-119 from downtown Lawton southerly to the west limit of Marcellus in Cass Co as the single largest addition to the state highway system out of a total of 30 additional miles of roadway approved to be added to the trunkline sytem.
  1931 (Jul 22) - The 10.6-mile extension of M-119 from downtown Lawton southerly to Marcellus approved by the State Administrative Board a month earlier is officially determined as a state trunkline highway route.
  1933 (Jul 12) - An additional 10.3 miles of state trunkline are added from Marcellus southerly to M-60 near Jones as a southerly extension of M-119.
  1935 (Jan 7) - Yet another southerly extension, this time 6.4 miles in length, takes M-119 south from M-60 at Jones to meet US-112 two miles west of Mottville.
  1938 (Dec 6) - A slight realignment on the southern limits of Lawton "smooths out" a pair of sharp turns, the former route being turned back to local control. A similar, albeit slightly longer, realignment shaves 0.7 mile from the route of M-119 in southeastern Van Buren Co at Cedar Lake. The former route via 31st St, 93rd Avd and 94th Ave, is turned back to local control.
  1949 (Nov 7) - A slight realignment "cuts the corner" along the Marcellus/Newberg Twp line south of Marcellus, shaving 8/10 mile from the route of M-119. The former route via Old 119 and Dutch Settlement Rd is turned back to local control.
  1949 (Nov 10) - M-119 is shortened by a few hundred yards when US-112 at the southern end of M-119 is realigned slightly north of its former alignment.
  1954 (Jul 9) - M-119 is realigned to bypass Jones to the east, with the former route being turned back to local control.
  1960 (Feb 10) - With the coming of the I-94/US-12 freeway past the south side of Paw Paw, the route of M-119 is realigned to the west and a interchange is constructed with the new freeway. The former route is turned back to local control.
  1968 (Nov 29) - A short realignment two miles south of downtown Lawton shaves 0.02 mile from M-119.
  1971 (Sept 11) New! The State Highway Dept announces a change in highway route designations involving M-40 and M-119 in Van Buren, Cass and Berrien Cos to go into effect later in the fall. From Paw Paw, M-119 will be supplanted in its entirety by a rerouted M-40, which will now continue south from Paw Paw through Lawton and Marcellus, terminating at US-12 west of Mottville. The former route of M-40 between I-94 west of Paw Paw southerly through Decatur and Dowagiac to Niles will be redesignated as M-51. The concurrent I-94/M-40 segment between Exits 56 and 60 becomes just I-94. Reasons given for the change by MSHD officials include motorist confusion with having M-40 routed along I-94 for four miles and the M-119 route from Paw Paw southerly being a much more logical routing for M-40 to follow.
  1971 (Nov) Updated Following completion of a widening project along M-40 in downtown Dowagiac, the route designation changes for M-40 and M-119 announced earlier in the year take effect. All M-119 route markers are changed out for M-40 signs, while all M-40 signs between I-94 at Exit 56 and downtown Niles are swapped out for new M-51 markers. The M-119 route designation is retired at this point and the length of M-40 is shortened by 9½ miles.
  1979 - All of M-131 is redesignated as M-119, likely to reduce confusion with nearby US-131, which terminates in Petoskey. M-131-turned-M-119 begins at US-31 east of Bay View and continues via Harbor Springs and Good Hart to a terminus at jct C-66/C-77 in Cross Village.
  1979 - All of M-131 is redesignated as M-119, likely to reduce confusion with nearby US-131, which terminates in Petoskey. M-131-turned-M-119 begins at US-31 east of Bay View and continues via Harbor Springs and Good Hart to a terminus at jct C-66/C-77 in Cross Village. One internal MDOT source, however, indicates M-119 (and M-131 before it) as beginning at jct US-31 & US-131 (cnr Charlevoix Ave & Spring St) on the west side of Petoskey and continuing easterly via US-31 through Bay View to the present-day beginning o M-119 before turning northerly toward Harbor Springs. It is unclear whether M-119 is ever signed along US-31 through Petoskey, but any such signs would be gone within a decade if it is, indeed, posted.
Freeway/Expwy: No portion of M-119 is freeway or expressway.
Pure Michigan Byway: Scenic Heritage Route MarkerM-119 Tunnel of Trees Heritage Route - Officially designated a Scenic Heritage Route in June 2003. This is the famous "Tunnel of Trees" route connecting Harbor Springs with Cross Village in Emmet Co.
Photographs:
Weblinks: M-119 @ Michigan Highway Ends - photos of the termini of M-119 at Dan Garnell's excellent Michigan Highway Ends website.
  M-119 Tunnel of Trees Heritage Route from the Northwest Michigan Council of Governments.
  M-119 Heritage Route Management Plan (PDF document) from the Northwest Michigan Council of Governments.
  Public invited to celebrate in Cross Village at M-119 'Tunnel of Trees' dedication ceremony from MDOT.
  Beauty at Risk: Protecting M-119 Corridor from the Traverse City Record-Eagle.
  M-119 Page & Photos - from Casey Cress' West Michigan's Sunset Coast website.

 

M-100 | Former M-101 | Historic US-102| M-102 | M-103 | M-104 | Former M-105 | M-106 | Former M-107 | Former M-108 | M-109 | FormerM-110 | US-112 | M-113 | M-115 | M-116 | M-117 | M-119 | Up to Top


Home | Jump to Highway Listings:

  1-9
  10-19
  20-29
  30-39

  40-49
  50-59
  60-69
  70-79

  80-89
  90-99
  100-119
  120-139

  140-159
  160-179
  180-199
  200-229

  230-249
  250-696
  Bus 2-31
  Bus 32-94

  Bus 96-496
  A-2—C-81
  D-19—H-15
  H-16—H-63